Wednesday, March 9, 2016

A COUPLE AUSSIE SURPRISES


                        Always Learning Something New
The Remote
      When traveling, my buddy and I agree that there is too much to see and do in a new place to turn on the TV. We figure if anything wild is going on in the world someone will let us know about it.
      We were in Melbourne, Australia in late 2000 when we the president had not been decided yet. Everywhere we went people asked, “What’s the matter with you Americans? Why can’t you elect a president?”
      One day, after tramping all around the city, we returned to our delightful little boutique hotel. Upon entering our room I asked, “Do you think we should turn on the TV and see if we have a president.”
     “I’m really getting tired of all the questions. I think maybe this might be an exception. The remote is there. Go ahead and turn the box on,” she replied.
      Picking up the remote I pushed the power button. Nothing happened, so I pushed it again. And again. Again. Exasperated I threw the remote on the bed disgustedly saying, “I know I’m technologically challenged, but you’d think I could turn on a darn TV!”
     Just about that time she grabbed her blouse and said, “It’s sure hot in here.”
     Simultaneously, we both looked at her bedside table and saw another remote. She picked it up, pushed the power button and, waala, we had TV! We started to laugh as we realized I had the heat remote and I’d been turning up the heat with every push of the button!
      For years after that, every time we walked into a new hotel room, we’d look at the TV and one of us would say, “Remember Melbourne?” and have a good chuckle.


Early Wakeup Call
      In the Australian Outback the wake-up call came at 3:15 AM. It was only a short ride to the field where our balloon waited, deflated on the ground. We all pitched in to arrange the balloon so it could receive air and inflate. At daybreak we quietly floated over browsing cattle and wild horses running on the plain below. Mobs of kangaroos were hopping everywhere. The animals were way too numerous to count. The unbelievable quiet tempered our comments even though we were all excited.
       I tried to capture the spectacular sunrise on film but wasn’t very successful. As the day lightened we spotted several other balloons in the air. This was my third balloon ride and I’m always amazed at the incredible peaceful quietness.
       All too soon, it was time to descend. After a safe landing everyone pitched in to fold up the balloon and pack it away in its compact holding case.
       On the way back to town we stopped at a tavern that opened just for us early in the morning, We all enjoyed the traditional champagne breakfast and the silence was no more. No restraint on our excitement and noisy comments. Eating on the patio that lovely warm morning enjoying good food, sipping champagne and enjoying good camaraderie was a wonderful fun way to start a day!

No comments: