Sunday, November 9, 2014

GATEWAY TO THE GREAT BARRIER REEF

                           Cairns, Australia
             Cairns is pronounced cans as the ‘r’ is silent. Although Brisbane is the capitol of Queensland, Cairns is affectionately referred to as the tropical capitol. It is the gateway to the Great Barrier Reef.
My impression was that of a sleepy tropical town, even though the population was 73,000.
            Settled in 1876, it became a town in 1885, and a city in 1932 with a population of approximately 10,000.  We were told that the older homes were built on stilts in order to catch the sea breezes. It is too hot here for many crops to grow, but sugarcane, macadamia, and pineapple do well and there are many such plantations around. Rain evaporates rapidly producing high humidity.
            I’ve snorkeled the Great Barrier Reef twice. The second experience was the better of the two. The Coral Sea borders Australia on the north.  It was a short drive from our hotel to the waterfront where we boarded a catamaran for a trip out to Green Island, 12-15 miles off the coast.
Catamarans are the most common means of transport, probably because of their shallow draft, and because they lend itself to the spaciousness of the accommodations. The catamaran guide informed us that Captain Cook named Green Island which is a natural mature coral cay.
The island is small and houses a restaurant, gift shop, dive shop, toilets, design lockers, and a swimming pool. The tropical foliage lends a very relaxing and calm atmosphere, and there are sandy beaches for swimming. This was my first trip. Green Island is very commercial and the best I can say is that one experiences the reef.
My travel buddy  and I walked the two mile perimeter of the island walking in shallow water.
After lunch  only five of us took a motor boat to the reef to snorkel. Once again  my prescription mask again came in handy.
         The 1258-mile-long Great Barrier Reef  lies 12-32 miles off shore. It protects hundreds of small off shore islands on Australia’s east coast from Brisbane north to Cairns, and the reef itself is protected. The reef contains 400 species of coral. Because I didn’t have a buddy I didn’t wander too far away from the boat, but I was the last one out of the water. The water was shallow in many spots, and there was some current so I was glad I had my fins. I saw several corals I’ve never seen before. The water was warm and the fish were fairly plentiful. It was good snorkeling, but not as good as that I had done in Belize
Snorkeling was a new experience for many people on both trips. On my second trip it was September vs November and we were told that box jellyfish wash down from the rivers and are near the shoreline. This deadliest of all jellyfish has only a fist size body but 4 meter long tentacles. Some beaches enclose a netted area for safe swimming.
             We waded out to a small motor boat that took us out to the waiting Rum Runner IV, a 55-foot catamaran. Thirty young adults joined us on the cat, so the boat was pretty full. It was an hour and a half ride out to the largest coral reef system in the world. 
Most of us were out on deck, and before long the wave splash got us pretty wet, and long before arriving at the reef we were soaking wet. Fortunately although it was a misty day, it was  a warm one. By the time we anchored and got in the water it was actually raining. The water was warm. The snorkeling was quite good.
I kind of swam around by myself, as most had not snorkeled before. The crew was most helpful. After getting everyone fitted with mask, snorkel, (I had my own) and some basic instructions, they took 2-3 at a time holding on to a life ring and towed them around over the reef. For the most part the beginners were thrilled to have had this experience. For me it was a good swim! 
Green Island is by far the most popular spot for tourist to visit the reef. It was way too commercial for me. There was no one around for my second trip to the reef and it was much more pleasant and ‘real’.



No comments: