Sunday, September 11, 2011

ODDS AND ENDS KNOWN AS TRIVIA

Unimportant but Fun Tidbits

            In Texas, towns are spotted from a distance by their water towers. In much of Europe towns and villages are spotted by the church tower. The church is usually built on a hill and the tower generally is built on the west side of the church.
***************
When biking in Germany and Austria I was standing outside a coffee shop in the village of Aschach.  I had finished my lunch shopping and was admiring the houses that were painted in pastel colors in this little village. A little old man approached me, “Are you American?” he asked.
“Yes, I am.”
“I was in America once,” he said. “During World War II, I was a prisoner of war at Fort Smith, Arkansas. I’m sorry my English is not so good.”
How I wish I had had more conversation with this gentleman. I was just so shocked to learn that we had POW camps on American soil. He did tell me he was treated well.
It’s a small world!
*************** 
As we approached Land’s End we lost the trees and the landscape became quite barren. Land’s End is the most westerly point in England. The area has been turned into sort of an amusement area, but it’s one of those places that if you’re near you should at least take a look-see.
A friend and I walked down to the first and last point gift shop where I bought a couple of post cards.  There’s not a whole lot to see other than shops and some amusements for kids.
One of England’s rescue lifeboats was on display near the parking area. All men who operate the rescue boats are volunteers, and they are kept pretty busy at times.
It was very windy and I suspect it most always is. The coast is very rugged. Nasty waves were splashing over the rocks where the lighthouse stood as a steady warning to all who sailed those choppy seas along the  rocky coastline.

No comments: