Sunday, May 23, 2010

A TRIP DECISION

A Good One
A gal I traveled with  many times nagged me for three years to go to Churchill, Manitoba, Canada to see the polar bears. I kept saying “Kelly, I don’t like cold weather! Besides I don’t have any heavy warm clothes.”

I had just returned home from hiking the Swiss Alps and  was sitting at my desk when it hit me. My daughter had ski clothes that I could borrow. In hind sight, I’m amazed it took me three years to remember this. I picked up the phone and called my friend in New Jersey saying, “If you really want to go see the polar bears I’ll borrow warm clothes and go with you.”

Ecstatic she gave me the tour company phone number. I couldn’t believe it when I learned that they were totally booked eleven months in advance! So I placed another call to New Jersey and told her. “Well it’s all for not. They are totally booked for next year.”

“Not so fast gal. Give me a couple of days to do a bit of research and I’ll call you back.”

True to her word, I heard from her a few days later. Our second choice company had a couple of spots left for the following season. I begged the fellow I was talking to to hold two spots for a day or so until I could get back to Kelly, then back to him with her preferred date.

Long story short, I did, and he did, and we booked a trip for the following mid-October. There are two options to get to Churchill—fly in or take a many hour train ride from Winnipeg, as  there are no roads into the city. We landed in Churchill after a new fallen snow the night before. I was warm in my heavy clothes and my feet were dry in my boots. I shoveled enough snow as a kid in New England to last me a lifetime, but it was kind of fun to just enjoy the fresh snow that was still clean and white..

I am glad I made this trip with my friend, as we had a wonderful time and she died the following May.             



No comments: