Sunday, May 9, 2010

HOMBREW

THEY CAN BE POTENT
            
Although I have never experienced any American moonshine, I have experienced home brew concoctions in several places as I’ve traveled around the world.
           
In Budapest we were welcomed with an aperitif glass filled with a liquid called puszta. It was explained, “Puszta is used to welcome a friend and is made with white Tokay wine, apricot brandy and bitters. It is usually homemade.” What a nice welcome and although not much of a drinker I did enjoy the drink.
           
In Bulgaria the brandy-like drink is called rakiu and definitely should be sipped.  In Romania the home brew is a plum brandy. For some reason home brews always seem pretty potent to me.

In Davos, Switzerland I had a cherry-brandy that was really really strong. Its strength certainly could be compared to the strong grape-brandy I was handed in Croatia.
          
  In Finland, we were offered Lakka, a cloudberry liqueur schnapps. I thought it was very good. A cloudberry  looks something like a raspberry, but is salmon-orange in color and its bumps are larger.


Kir, originated in French cafes mid 19th century, is a popular drink in many places. It was further popularized by Felix Kir after World War II when he, as  mayor of Dijon, served the drink to promote his region's fine wines, and the name Kir has been associated with the drink ever since. There are many variations, but generally kir is made with a 1:9 ratio of white wine, often Chablis, and cassis. I’m not sure how the restaurant owner in Nice, France made his kir but I found it pretty potent.
            
When asked if I drink these various drinks, I respond, “After one sip I generally can find someone close by or at my table who is happy to finish it  for me so I don’t appear rude by not drinking it. There was one exception though, and that was the home-brew vodka made by the 80-year-old grandmother in Uglich, Russia. She had a magic touch and her vodka was very good.”
           
I’ll no doubt run into other drinks as I continue to travel and I’ll be game to at least give them a sip.

No comments: