Wednesday, October 17, 2018

WALKING UP STAIRS IN VICTORIAN TIMES


                                              Victorian know how
       Of all the palaces I’ve visited  on my travels three are at the top of my list: Warwick in Warwick, England, Yusupov in St. Petersburg, Russia, and Wurzburg Palace in Wurzburg, Germany. Each deserves a full long post of its own---another day.
    Standing at the foot of the beautiful grand staircase in the Wurtzburg Palace I listened to an excited flamboyant female docent describe the proper way to walk up stairs---at least in Maria Theresa’s day.
     We’re talking 1700s here and the docent explained, “Stand tall with your head slightly turned up so you can look down just a tiny bit. Your right hand would grasp your long skirt while your left hand would be bent at a 90 degree angle at the elbow. But the pinkly finger must be extended upward toward the ceiling while the rest of the hand is gently closed.”
     Standing at the foot of the stairs in front of our group I listened carefully to the docent’s instructions. As she turned to ascend the stairs I turned to my friend asking, “Are you ready?”
      “You’re kidding, right?”
      Feeling a little giddy, I responded, “No, I’m not. Come on now, Make believe your pants are a skirt. Let’s so.”
      We proceeded up the long wide staircase in an elegant slow walk in perfect cadence. We made it to the top without looking down and without stumbling or missing a step. We both giggled all the way up and were the only ones game enough to step back in time to the elegance of decades past---just for a few minutes anyway. It was fun.
     When we all cleared the stairs, one of the fellows said, “You plucky ole gals did a pretty good job. I’m surprised your bifocals didn’t trip you up.” 
     Neither of us has ever done it again, but it is a one of a kind fun unusual memory.

No comments: