Wednesday, October 10, 2018

OPIUM ICE CREAM


                                             A Surprise Flavor
     One evening leaving a restaurant in Vienna where we’d enjoyed a really good, if different, pizza my travel buddy said, “An ice cream would be a perfect topping of a great meal.”
     “What a good idea!  I’m sure I saw an ice cream kiosk a block from the hotel when I was scouting out the neighborhood this afternoon before you arrived. (She lives in LA). We should hit it if we cross here and then turn right,” I answered.
     We did just that and then joined a short line in front of the kiosk. It was hard to make a choice of the twenty or so flavors displayed. Each was labeled, but in Austrian or German. It didn’t make any difference as norther of us spoke either language.
    I tried to find out from the young man behind the counter what flavor the vanilla-looking ice cream with tiny dark specks in it was.  Maybe chocolate chip?  The fellow didn’t speak any English, which was surprising for a young male.
     Not wanting to hold up the line forming behind us I gave up the conversation and just took the ice cream.  For this ice creamaholic, I knew no matter what the flavor it would be good. Licking our cones we walked off heading toward the hotel. Suddenly we heard a  young man  say, “Ladies, ladies. That ice cream you are eating is opium ice cream.”
    “What!” we exclaimed simultaneously.
     “Yes, you know like from the poppies that grow in Afghanistan. Opium ice cream,” he commented.
     After a minute a light went on in my head and I said, “Oh, you mean poppy seed.”
     “Yes, Yes.” He strolled past us licking on his cone.
     He was standing directly behind us, and we both wondered why he hadn’t jumped in to interpret for us when we were trying to converse with the vendor.
     We had a good chuckle over my opium ice cream and often mentioned it on succeeding trips when we were together.

No comments: