Sunday, July 1, 2018

ITALIAN BARS


                   A Bar, Not What You Think
     When I traveled Italy I frequented many bars, but this is a good example where words have different meanings in different cultures.
     In Italy, a bar is an open-air kiosk sandwich shop where one eats his purchase while standing, not sitting.  At a quick stop such a gas station often one is able to stand at a round high table that is little bigger than a shelf; but it is a place to put a drink and sandwich. Two can be uncrowded at such a table. These bar tables are about 18 inches in diameter, a little shy of four feet high and  are often built around a post
     Most restaurants in Italy have a cover charge of a few dollars to sit at a table---and one time that included us long enough to eat an ice cream cone!
    I learned quickly in Italy sandwiches are served naked—that is dry with no mustard, mayonnaise, butter, relish or catsup, never mind a tomato sliceor lettuce! I hope today that most places have at least a condiment table/bar. One day a old fellow was sharing my bar  table. He seemed to be having a bit of trouble eating and finally commented that his sandwich was sticking to the roof of his mouth. I thought, thank goodness he doesn’t have false teeth, as I surely wouldn’t have wanted to look at them as I ate my lunch!   Next time some individual packs of condiments went in a plastic bag in my luggage.
     Italians have no concept of what it means to form a line or to join a queue .You just have to elbow your way to the counter or you never have a chance to pay for your merchandise.
    One day in Venice, Italy I did find a fast food Italian restaurant where we could sit at a table for free. The food was good and it was a pleasure to sit and enjoy a leisurely lunch.
    Over the years I hope the American fast food industry has brought some changes to the Italian eating market that does not involve traditional sit down restaurants.

No comments: