Sunday, June 24, 2018

AEROBIC EXERCISE


                                   AEROBIC SURPRISE

     Flying over the Andes Mountains on a clear sunny day provided a bird’s eye view of the many Inca roads/ trials  traversing the mountain range.
     After deplaning the jet in Cusco, Peru, it only took about 100 yards before, as if on cue, everyone slowed their pace and realized we were at an altitude of 12,500 feet. Little did I know then that breathing was about to become an aerobic exercise 24/7 for the next two weeks.
     Entering the air terminal we heard local musicians playing haunting Peruvian  melodies, which often feature the pan flute. Standing still slowly the labored breathing returned pretty much to normal.
     Our Cusco hotel, located less than a kilometer from the plaza,  was a short walk, but it was all uphill and still at 12,500-feet.  About a third of the way up the narrow alley, called a road in these parts, I’d start gasping for air.  Generally we walked in the middle of the street, so my son and I could walk side by side. The alternative was to walk single file on the narrow stepped sidewalk at the road’s edge.  Traffic was not a problem.
     The incline necessitated short steps.  After two or three gasps my son asked, “Mom, should we stop to rest?”
     Between gulps of air I always uttered, “No,  just one step in front of the other and we’ll make it.” Day after day we slowly trudged up the hill to the hotel where I stumbled through the door.  Two steps inside I leaned against the wall huffing for each breath.
     Concerned hotel staff routinely asked, “Are you OK.?  Can I get you anything?”
     Nodding my head I croaked, “I’m OK. Just give me a minute to catch my breath.”
Standing still, slowly my breathing returned to some semblance of normal, and then I had the energy to climb the dozen steps up to our room.  I kept telling myself that all this was preparation for the four-day trek on the Old Inca Road.  Little did I know!

No comments: