Wednesday, September 14, 2016

TOMATO SALAD---Literally

                                Interpretations are Sometimes Fun
    We were sailing around on Lake Lugano when our hiking guide found us on deck. He wanted to tell us about a grotto restaurant and give us directions to it before he left the next morning.
Lugano, Switzerland’s most southern tourist city, is close to Italy, and most people in the canton (state) speak Italian. The terrain, architecture, and climate are very different from the rest of Switzerland.
      The next morning we rode the local bus to Paradiso, where we transferred to a post bus to the grotto. Little did we know that we were in for a hair-raising ride over a narrow, switch back, hairpin-turn road up, up, and up into the mountains. At the pass, the driver didn’t have more than an inch to spare on either side of the bus!
      The driver alerted us at the proper stop and pointed us toward a cobblestone alley. After walking for some distance, we began to wonder if we were in the right place, but around the next curve, in a garden setting, suddenly the grotto appeared.
     In spite of reassurances the day before that some people spoke English, no one did, no waiters nor clients, plus the menu was in Italian. However, we were able to figure out pizza and salada. I ordered pizza and my friend ordered a tomato salad.
     You can imagine the surprised look on our faces when a large bowl of quartered ripe tomatoes arrived! The only other thing in the bowl was a light dressing. We shared our meals. The tomatoes were delicious and the pizza was good.
     We sat at a stone table, as instructed, but now I can’t remember why that was important. The picturesque restaurant, nestled in the foothill of a mountain, was landscaped with lovely tropical flowers. I always smile when I recall the hair-raising bus ride and that memorable meal.

                     A Drink in Costa Rica
My daughter’s birthday happened to be while we were in Costa Rica. After a busy long day of sightseeing the girls headed for the pool and my daughter and I headed to the bar to meet up with a couple of new friends.
Not being much of a drinker, other than wine, I labored over the drink menu trying to decide what to order. Finally the bartender offered to help me out. Between him and my daughter they recommended the Sex on the Beach. I enjoyed the pleasant tropical fruity rum drink, but I had even more fun at home responding to,” Did you have a good vacation?” with, “Yes, I had Sex on the Beach.”
People’s reactions are so much fun to watch!

No comments: