Wednesday, May 1, 2013

A WELL DESERVED MASSAGE


Return from Machu Picchu Trek.

From Agua Calientes we took a train for the hour and a half ride to  Ollantaytambo, where we disembarked and picked up a bus back to Cuzco, arriving at the hotel at 9:30 PM. While my son retrieved our luggage left behind, I jumped in the shower. That hot water felt so good and after four long hard days it seemed as if I were also shedding lots of dirt and grime. I was in bed and sound asleep before he got out of the shower. Like hibernating bears, we both slept soundly.
This was during 9/11 and since we were on the trail we did not hear about the attack for three days. The next morning in Cusco we went down to breakfast and turned  the TV to the BBC to get the latest news about the terrorist attack on NYC.
I finally made it
One of the young gals on the trip had spoken to our guide about finding a masseuse, and when returning  from a trip to the plaza we learned that one would be at the hotel at 3:00 PM.  I was the first, followed by my son, and then she moved on to the girls’ room.  It was a well spent $25 for the hour-long massage. She really got after those sore calf and thigh muscles. My daypack hadn’t bothered my shoulders much, but she tackled them anyway. I almost felt like a new woman when she had finished getting all the knots out of my body.
That evening as we crossed the Plaza to our street, we saw about 30 riot police on the corner of our street and the plaza. We speculated they must be expecting some trouble with the celebration that was going on.
The following night at 2:00AM we were awakened with sirens blaring  shattering the  stillness of the night. My son got up, and went outside to see what he could learn. The hotel, located  on a hill, provided a good view of the city below. Seeing nothing, he returned to the room to get dressed and go to the lobby to see what the TV might be saying. Knowing the Andes are unstable and prone to earthquakes, he was visibly upset. Then at 5:00 AM the church bells rang, but not normally. They rang and rang and rang. Was that some sort of a warning?
With daylight and never having found out what was going on, we were packed and ready to move north to Puno and Lake Titicaca.

No comments: