Sunday, February 24, 2013

ANIMAL PARADES FOR CHARITY



Cow Parade

The popular and fairly common charity fund-raiser of displaying various animals, putting them on display and later auctioning them off has taken place in many cities. But the first cow parade took place in Zurich, Switzerland in 1998 and I was fortunate to be there.
          When the city walking tour of Zurich ended we strolled down the famous Bahnhofstrasse, a wide boulevard that runs from the train station for about 1½  kilometers to the edge of Lake Zurich. The wide sidewalks allow for lots of window shopping in the many high priced specialty shops. Sidewalk cafes are nestled between the shops and dining tables spill outside onto the sidewalk.
          Suddenly I spotted my first cow and alerted my friend to stop and wait. I needed to take a picture. By the time we reached the lake I had used a whole roll of film on the silly life-size cows.  For those who don’t know each animal has a sponsor, and each is decorated by a different artist.  Animals are often displayed for three months before being auctioned off.
          I have since run into many such events. I spotted my next cow exiting the Portland, Oregon airport in 2002. I saw horses in Vienna and many other animals including flamingos, hippos, and guitars in other places. It is always fun!

No comments: