Sunday, December 23, 2012

TRAVEL MEMENTOS

                                     Key Ring to Wreath Ornament

       Everyone wants to bring home a memento from their trip, but as I got older and traveled more I developed a real jaundiced eye for where I spent my money: where would I put it; what would I do with it; use it; ever look at it again?
        Except for a very narrow space around a hall closet where I hung small oils or prints of memorable churches I simply ran out  out of wall space. When the churches ran down below level even that had to stop.
        After buying a shot glass at Balmoral Castle and  one from Cuba they became the main post for a rather extensive collection.Three times I had a local wood working shop make me a case to hold 24-30 glasses to fit in various office wall spaces.Twice a year on a dull rainy day it is fun to dust that collection and remember many fun and interesting places.
           I don't clothes or shoe shop, but I do sometimes do a little Christmas shopping for friends and family. I also buy unique ear rings, not expensive jewelry that can be bought anywhere. My unique ear rings are never seen on anyone else.
           But my favorite item to look for and buy is a key ring specific to where I am visiting.When I get home the ring is removed and is replaced with a gold string. Then it is hung on my Christmas wreath. During the year the wreath hangs on the back wall of a closet where it is always ready for a new ornament. On Thanksgiving the wreath moves to the front foyer by the front door  where I enjoy it until late January.
           All my treasures are easily packed in my 22-inch roll-on and arrive home safely with no fuss.
           Perhaps these ideas will give you inspiration for your own unique collections.

No comments: