Sunday, November 25, 2012

THE KIKUYU


One Tribe of Native Kenyans

            Our Kenya guide was a Kikuyu and an absolute sweetheart who I think about often whenever there are disturbances in Kenya. He was fluent in English, French, Spanish, Italian, Swahili and nine dialects. He was extremely interesting and a world of information, always willing to share much of it with us and was able to answer anything we asked him.
            He told us, “I live between two cultures. I am Kikuyu, but no longer live in my village but with my wife in Nairobi. I return to my village for ceremonies etc. My dad lives in the village where life is very traditional. Sometimes he has problems with my non-traditional ways. I have and only want one wife. I play with my children which is very non-traditional. Men normally leave all the childcare to the mother.”
He insisted that the many tribes in Kenya get along with each other and respect each other’s differences. Except in the large cities crime is very low. You will not find any day care centers or nursing homes in Kenya as the people take care of their own. All  the children belong to the whole village.
In spite of popular belief the Mau Mau were not a tribe. They were people who believed in independence. Actually the first Mau is Swahili meaning white man go home and the second Mau means independence for Kenya. Of course the Mau Mau no longer exist because Kenya became independent in 1963 when Kenyatta became the first president.
Kenyatta kept many respected Englishmen as advisers until the country  could function well on its own. He ruled until his death. Moi succeeded him as president and has been ruling ever since. After independence all the streets in Nairobi were renamed and one of the main streets is Kenyatta Avenue.
Kikuyu are farmers and since women do nearly all of the farming some villages are becoming farming communities which is a drastic change from the nomadic Masai way of life. Some Kikuyu women are marrying Masai men. I have to wonder how that will turn out as the two lifestyles are so different.
            I was amazed to see how quietly people in Nairobi waited in long lines for buses at the end of a long work day. We found the Kenyans very warm, cheerful, friendly, and helpful. We had a wonderful time and I’ll relate all about safari another day. 

No comments: