Sunday, October 14, 2012

GOOMBAY WHAT?


A Good Punch

      I’ve often mentioned that I always look for the different and unusual. The first time I was in the Bahamas I discovered Goombay punch. That was over 30 years ago and being that much younger I thought the fruit punch was good, but I always remembered and was fascinated  by their logo. My second short visit was on a wedding cruise and I was more interested in showing my traveling companion the sites than tracking down some Goombay. Her likes were much different than mine anyway so she’d probably have thought I was a little nutty..
     But when I took my granddaughter to the Bahamas last year for a high school graduation present I had my chance to indulge.
I can best describe the drink as very much like an Hawaiian Punch. Rum added would be good, but I never hinted at that to the young one(18). She liked the drink and often bought a can or bottle of it.
     I wanted to bring home a case to share with friends, but I wouldn’t be able to carry a case on board (new TSA rules) and since I don't check luggage, I wasn’t willing to ship it or pay the airline a baggage fee, so the best I could do was bring home an empty can and share the story while remembering fond memories.


Post Script
A year later that same granddaughter had a chance to make a quick cruise to the Bahamas and when she came home she brought me 16 oz bottles of Goombay punch. A thoughtful surprise!

No comments: