Sunday, July 1, 2012

AN EXTRAVAGANT SURPRISE

                           A Cuban All Inclusive    
I was fortunate enough to visit Cuba nine years ago just before all travel to the island country was prohibited. 
We  crossed a 48-kilometer long causeway to reach our Santa Clara, Cuban hotel on Cayo Santa Maria. Many mangroves were in the bay of the causeway we crossed.
Our plush all-inclusive resort, built in 2001, could have been anywhere. We were driven to our room in a golf cart. It seemed a long way with many twists and turns and I wondered if I would ever be able to find my way back to reception and the dining room.
Our lovely little balcony looked out on nothing but lush vegetation.  The buildings were attractive two-story quadraplexes. Huge pools, most pretty shallow, with bridges over them were in the center of the complex.  The large property had 4 restaurants, 5 bars, tennis, gym, beauty parlor, massage facilities, live entertainment and a gorgeous long white sandy beach.
The enormous buffets had a huge variety of food, drinks and all the wine and liquor one desired. It was almost overwhelming and so easy to really overeat.
 I turned the A/C off in our quarters because it was too cold and turned on the ceiling fan which did a fine job of keeping the room comfortable. The next morning I woke at 6:30 AM, made my coffee and sat on the balcony to drink it. What a way to start a morning!
We’d had several long busy days so after a short ride to a village in the morning we spent a free afternoon at this lovely resort, which incidentally was strictly for foreign tourists, as no Cubans were allowed to book into the hotel. I walked to the far end of the beach, but the red flags were flying, so the best I could do was remove my shoes and walk along the edge in the water. 
I looked at one of the many hammocks strung among the trees, but it was a bit cool to lay around in the shade of a tree. Several thatched bars were scattered around the grounds. One was never far from the rum.
I know this type of all inclusive resort appeals to a lot of people, but sitting around a pool drinking is not really my thing. I much prefer smaller quaint accommodations and being able to get out among the locals, see, visit and learn. But I do admit that it was a lovely respite after some busy days and before others that followed.

No comments: