Wednesday, April 11, 2012

SOMETIMES IT'S STRESSFUL

            Stress and a Great Drink

When biking along the Danube we had many interesting experiences. Ten kilometers out of Linz, Austria our guide stopped us   saying, “For the rest of the ride today you  must use extra caution. We are about to enter an elevated bike path. It is a concrete sidewalk about three feet above the street level. Traffic will be heavy and moving fast on your right and bikers going in the opposite direction will be passing on your left. Keeping your distance is very important. I caution you to be especially alert.”
It was a stressful six miles. I kept my eyes on the sidewalk and tried to ignore the vehicles whizzing by on the highway below. I would have been more comfortable if we were riding on the inside instead of the bikers going in the opposite direction. Fortunately we all made it safely with no mishaps.
Although stressed at the end of the day  I was surprised to find I was not as tired after this 40 mile day as I was on the first day to Passau. We arrived at our hotel about 5:00PM.
I was dying for a nice big glass of ice tea, something unheard of in most of Europe. After entering the hotel I went directly to the bar and asked  "May I have (buy) a cup of hot tea?”
“Yes.”
When I was handed the tea I asked, “Now, may I have the largest container you have full of ice?”
“Really?” the bar tender said as he gave me a strange look.
“Yes, please. And may I take this all up to my room? I will return everything to you when we come down to dinner.”
The bar tender was shaking his head as I walked  to the elevator.  In my room I grabbed a glass, filled it with ice and poured in the tea. Ay, the pleasure!  And that is how I got my one and only glass of ice tea on the entire trip.
I did return everything to the bar and thanked the bartender. I’m sure I was probably labeled, ‘a crazy American’ but I did not care. I was a happy biker!


No comments: