Wednesday, February 8, 2012

TRAIL TO MACHU PICCHU


                                   Briefing and Trail Mantra

           In Peru we had an in country guide but also had special guides and porters for the four-day hike into Machu Picchu. One evening before the beginning of the trek we had an extensive briefing. We were told what to expect and how things would go. He just neglected to tell us how many very steep steps we would be navigating. It wasn’t all that far---give or take a good 25 miles but it was very rugged. During the briefing I was a little puzzled why the guide kept repeating as he looked directly at me, “We will all make it.”
            We were the only Americans on the trip and my son at 45 was the old man! The three Brit men, three Irish gals, two Englishmen and Canadian gal all were in their mid to late 20s.
            Later in the week I would learn that the porters and guides generally quit the rugged trek by age 40 as their hips and knees give out. I was just shy of 70! We also learned that very few Americans make the trek because we generally are not in good enough shape. After the fact I can say I’m glad I did it but would never do it again and if I’d had a really good handle of what it would involve I would think long and hard about undertaking the strenuous adventure. I had my son with me  and I truly would not have made it if he had not been at my side all the time. I was just exhausted, but my son irritated an old Little League knee injury which I did not learn about until we returned to Cusco where he spent a day or so sucking ibuprofen while lying in bed icing his injury.
            At the end of the first day I secretly entertained the thought that if I could have hired a helicopter to take me out I would have done it. However, I enjoyed the magnificent scenery. The flowers were gorgeous and all the birds, especially hummingbirds, were a delight. The many gurgling streams was music to my ears. The trail was dry which was fortunate as it would be very hazardous if it had been wet. The path was rocky, and for some reason I expected a rather good hard-pack path. Dream on! The three summits were a challenge and there was one day I literally hugged the inside of the trail next to the mountain wall as the drop was straight down thousands of feet into thick lushness where no one would ever find you.
            My son and I were always the last ones  off the trail which really didn’t bother me. Someone has to be last, right? Hey, at least I made it through that day! All the time I felt like the little engine that could. I can, I can, I think I can. Just one step in front of the other. And finally I DID. 

No comments: