Wednesday, January 4, 2012

BIKING ANNOYANCES


Wind and Flat Terrain

When biking, I never thought that I would think flat was boring. But leaving Krems, Austria that is what we encountered  and the day’s ride was really pretty bleak,  monotonous. and seemed to last forever !  I was glad it was the end of our bike trip and not the beginning—the bleakness that is.

On the way to Melk, Austria we ran into a head wind.  It was a very tough 35-mile day, because when biking into the wind you can never rest. If you stop peddling the bike comes almost to a stop. Everyone looked tired when we arrived, and I really think I prefer the rain to the wind, and I never thought I would say that either.


          When biking France’s Bordeaux country we stopped in Soulac for a picnic lunch at the beach. The wind was blowing hard enough that we had to keep everything covered to prevent sand from blowing into our food and drinks. When we left to continue on,  the tail wind was so strong that all we had to do was balance on the bike as the wind literally pushed us along! It was really strange. However, this day we did have time restraints as we needed to be in Verdan to catch the ferry across the Gironde River to Royan. We had a fair distance to cover and if this wind had been a head wind I’m certain we would have missed our ferry. We didn’t have to work very hard to clip along at a decent speed. What a nice change!   

No comments: