Wednesday, November 23, 2011

CUBA OPENING UP FOR AMERICANS

GETTING TO CUBA
For the past decade, since the end of 2003, visiting Cuba has been forbidden for Americans. Everybody in the world, except Americans, could travel to Cuba. In 1996 the U.S. Treasury Department issued licenses to a handful of companies such as Global Exchange and Cross Cultures for sanctioned travel to Cuba for educational and cultural purposes.
          People participating in these programs usually had to fly via Canada or Cancun, Mexico. Sometimes, if the group was large enough, there would be a chartered plane from Miami.
            Then several travel /tour agencies decided to jump on the bandwagon to obtain a Treasury license. It didn’t take long for the Treasury Department to realize that along the way the educational and cultural components of these companies’ trips had gotten lost.
            By December 31, 2003 when licenses expired none would be renewed essentially cutting off all such travel for Americans. I was lucky to move off a waiting list and able to visit Cuba in mid-November of ’03. I booked a flight through Cancun where I met several others and our guide.
            Literature I received informed me that the climate is tropical and temperate. Walking shorts certainly were acceptable. No credit cards, ATMs, or personal or travelers’ checks could be used in Cuba. One must carry all the cash one anticipates needing. There are two currencies: the peso and the US dollar, however only Cubans used pesos. There were both dollar and peso stores. We found that everyone was most happy to accept the American dollar!
One was allowed to bring back goods worth $100, which included tobacco and liquor. Twenty-five cigars were permitted within that allowance. Cuban cigars are supposed to be some of the best in the world. I did a bit of cigar research to know what I was talking about when buying a few for friends.  Bottled water was recommended; even to brush one’s teeth.  I’d been down that road before. It was best to avoid ice, even though most ice is made from purified water. I’d been down that road many times before too.
We were to expect cobblestones and walking up to three miles over rough sidewalks in disrepair, sometimes hilly terrain and good walking shoes were essential. The literature strongly suggested that to enjoy the adventure, flexibility and a large supply of patience would be most helpful to cope with situations quite different than in the U. S. The literature was accurate and it was nice to be forewarned.
As people learned about my impending trip I experienced a variety of comments ranging from, “Wow, I wish I could go” and “So you’re going before they shut it down, good for you,” to “Why do you want to go there. I’d never go to Cuba. It’s too scary.”  When I asked that person why, she responded, “It’s full of Communists.”  Stymied I just shook my head and cut the conversation short.
This turned out to be a fantastic trip, full of wonderful lectures, walking tours, travel throughout the country, good accommodations and better food than I’d expected. It was also my introduction to the flavorful mojito. Lots more about Cuba  to come.

No comments: