Wednesday, July 6, 2011

CEILING BOSSES

FASCINATING OBJECTS

            When I travel I’m a pretty unusual tourist. In fact I don’t think of myself as a tourist but as a visitor to another place. I’m often off the beaten track and am always looking for something different and unusual. While others are photographing the popular tourist attractions I’m looking at manhole covers or unique trashcans, or something else that is different. I could probably do a whole article on any of the previous mentioned if I went through my scrapbooks and pulled the pictures.
            OK, so now to today’s topic. What in the world is a ceiling boss and where would I find one?   I spotted my first ceiling boss in a church foyer ceiling in Chipping Campden in the Cotswolds, England. I was intrigued, and had to ask what the handsome wooden designs I was looking at were.
            I was told, “A boss is an ornament, often of carved wood, but can be plaster, that overlays the joints of wood or plaster beams on decorative ceilings. They are quite common in Gothic architecture.”
            Of course I had seen them in the many Gothic churches I’d been in. I just thought they were part of the architecture and never gave them a second thought.
After finding the ones in the Cotswolds, I looked for them and found many more, but, except for the gothic churches, I have never seen them anywhere else. I’ve never noticed them in our old Victorian or antebellum homes, but I also admit I’ve not specifically looked for them either.
            I wanted to buy one so I started looking for them everywhere I went. They are not easy to find. I finally found one in a church gift shop, and a second one in another gift shop. They hang on my hall wall with my collection of photos and paintings of famous churches I’ve visited. The bosses often provoke questions and I have great fun explaining about them.


No comments: