Wednesday, May 18, 2011

AND STING RAYS TOO

                                                Swimming With Sting Rays
            When I first mentioned swimming with the sting rays in the Bahamas, my granddaughter wrinkled up her nose---until she saw the slick colored brochure in the hotel travel office. She questioned, “Wasn’t it a sting ray that killed Steve Irwin?”
            The agent responded, “Oh that was such a terrible freak accident. But as you can read here for safety all these rays have had their stinging barb removed.”
Feeding the rays
A couple of days later we took the local jitney (small bus) down town. After enjoying a delightful lunch on the waterfront restaurant, we wandered over to the catamaran docked behind the straw market which would take us to Blackbeard Island.
It was about a half hour ride on a gorgeous warm sunny day. Sandals Resorts own half of this island, but the other half is the ray sanctuary. This lagoon contained some flat rocks and when you stepped off you suddenly sank another 6-8 inches.
            There were about 30 rays and some of them were huge. They swam all around often brushing my legs. Rays generally are gentle creatures. When it came time to feed and hold them, I told my granddaughter, “I’m going to get out of the water and go up on the deck to take pictures. I do not trust my footing in the water with a camera.”
            For the feeding those in the water formed two rows so the rays had a path to swim through. Those who wanted to feed were given several pieces of squid.
            My granddaughter exclaimed, “Grandma, they just sucked the squid out of my hand. It was such fun!”
            Afterward a few people wanted to hold an animal. Some were more successful than others, and my granddaughter was one of those who managed to grasp one but it was really big to lift far out of the water.
            Bordering  the sanctuary is a gorgeous powdery white sandy beach  for swimming. It was a delightful afternoon.

No comments: