Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A COUPLE MORE WINE STORIES

  
Styrofoam Cups
            Before boarding the train for the overnight trip to the Australian Outback, it was suggested that we might like to buy a bottle of wine to enjoy that evening. We found the recommended liquor store and made our purchase.
            This time there was no difficulty opening the wine, but we only had Styrofoam cups in our compartment. The dining car was at the far end of the train and after some discussion we decided it was not very likely trying that we'd be successful getting a glass from there . I hate drinking anything out of Styrofoam, but we did what we had to do and drank our very good  wine out of the small Styrofoam cups. Since the cups were so small, the bottle of wine provided refreshment all evening along with pleasant conversation and scenery before and after dinner. The memory is a keeper.

Water Glass Full        
Wine accompanied the dinner meal each night on a European river cruise. Since it was not always easy to get the waiter’s attention, I turned my wine glass upside down leaving my water glass turned up. It was days before the waiter figured out he was filling my water glass with wine! I just had two glasses of wine in one and I didn’t have to bother or wait for the waiter.

Largest Wine Barrel
Heidelberg Fass, the largest wine barrel in the world sits in the cellar at Heidelberg Castle, Germany. Its capacity is 58,124 gallons.  Stairs lead up to a dance floor built on top of the barrel. We walked up the stairs but it was too dark to even think about taking pictures. It is one humongous barrel!

Monks’ Secret
Originally monks made most of the wine in Europe. Wine in the Wurzburg area is white. The green bottle, shaped like a goat’s bladder, reminded me of a Matuse bottle. It is said that the design and shape was easy for the monks to carry under their cloaks.My my.

No comments: