Sunday, October 24, 2010

COCO CABS

A WHAT?

I was lucky to get to Cuba a month before President Bush cut off all travel to the island country. Our Havana hotel was right on the Malecon—a busy street we’d call the waterfront boulevard. We had wonderful views of the ocean, but we also had a terrific viewing position to watch all the well known 40s and 50s automobiles of my youth. Mingled among all these wonderful old cars were the cutest little yellow coco cabs.

I had been alerted to the coco cabs by a friend, so it was on top of my list to see and ride. Coco cabs are small, yellow, fiber-glass, open vehicles with a small gas engine. The top curves to cover the driver and two passengers who sit in the back. These 3-wheel ‘taxis’ are seen all over the city and the average fee for a ride to about anywhere was three dollars, US.

The coco cab is described many ways. A hollowed out coconut. Like a hat of ancient Hawaiian royalty. A circle with a bite taken out of it. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words. You can decide how to describe them. They’re cute as can be and a lot of fun to ride. They look like they’d be slow, but they actually are pretty fast and zip in and out of traffic with no problems.

One evening we were returning to the hotel after a concert. The ocean was raging throwing huge amounts of water on the Malecon as the waves broke on the seawall. You could say our coco cab was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Enough water splashed onto us to short out the engine. The driver tried and tried to restart the engine but finally ended up pushing the cab. We could see the hotel less than a block away so we paid him and walked to the hotel.

After visiting a museum in Remidos I was examining the pedicab which was our transportation in that Cuban city. After figuring out the bit different break, I asked the driver of our pedicab if I could peddle it back to the bus. He didn’t hesitate and jumped in the backseat with my traveling buddy. I mounted the bike and peddled off in the middle of our pedicab caravan. It was an easy bike ride and fun for me. I guess it caused quite a stir as everyone came out their front door to watch us. I have no idea what they were saying among themselves. I was having a good time!

No comments: