Wednesday, July 14, 2010

WET TEE SHIRT

                                                       WOW DID IT FEEL GOOD!
When I went to Denmark to bike that island country I unfortunately took the Texas heat with me. For the first four days rivulets of water ran down every crevice of my body, and under my helmet my head took on the appearance of having just stepped out of the shower. The steep hill climbs didn’t help much either.

After lunch one day we stopped to visit a Viking outdoor museum-site. It was a beastly hot day and the tour of the museum was all out in the unrelenting sun. Close to the end, I snuck away to return to the museum building where I went into the restroom. I was alone, but at that point that was immaterial—I was hot and nothing was going to stop me from stripping off my tee shirt! I filled the sink with water and submerged my shirt. I only slightly squeezed the water out of the shirt before putting it back on. Wow, did that feel good!

I was just about to walk out the door when the rest of the group arrived. My roommate took one look at me but before she could say anything I muttered, “I don’t care what this wet tee shirt looks like, it feels cool and may even save me from having a heat stroke,”

“Hey, it works for me. Good idea. I think I’m going to do the same thing, maybe we can start a wet tee shirt contest. It is so darn hot. I keep drinking lots of water, but I just can’t seem to get enough and I’m still tired,” she responded.

By the time we left the museum several others had followed my lead. Just shy of dripping wet, we mounted our bikes to pedal to our hotel. We cooled rapidly once we were biking, and we spent the remainder of the day in comfort.

No comments: