Sunday, June 20, 2010

A Surprise

COCA TEA
When getting ready to go to Peru for a four day hike into Machu Picchu I read that coca tea was helpful in combating altitude sickness. Walking my neighborhood one day I ran into a neighbor who asked me where I was going next.

“I have a trip to Peru planned, “I told him.

Alarmed he replied, “My sister-in-law went there and got so sick she had to be evacuated to lower ground. What are you going to do if that happens to you?”

Flippantly I said, “I’ll just drink coca tea like the natives do.”  He was too stunned to continue the conversation, and I really didn’t give it much more thought.

You can imagine my surprise when entering the hotel lobby and found a huge thermos full of hot coca tea. We found it listed on every restaurant menu. I did drink a lot of it while in country and never had any problem with altitude sickness---even at the 13,350-foot high pass.

It tasted very much like any herbal tea. I found a commercially packaged box of coca tea bags to bring home to share with friends. After reassuring them that they were not going to get high, sick or anything else, most enjoyed the novelty of drinking something different---maybe forbidden. I did not chew any coca leaves as many natives do, using it as a digestive aid, and I certainly did not try to bring home loose coca leaves. I prefer to respect our custom laws!

No comments: