Sunday, June 27, 2010

NEAT IDEA

THE FAIRY TREE

Melbourne is one of my favorite cities. Known as the Garden City it is the capitol of Australia’s smallest state, Victoria. One out of every seven acres in the city is a park and nearly one quarter of the inner city is set aside for recreational purposes. This added to the multitude of flowers and trees creates an atmosphere of rural tranquility in a busy city. It was nice seeing so many working people spend their lunch hour in the parks.
Fitzroy Park was a delight. I visited it on my first trip down under and made sure to get back there on my second trip. The gardens were named after Sir Charles Fitzroy, Governor of New South Wales in the mid 1840s. The gardens are over 150 years old. Jan and I walked through the park several times on the way back to our boutique hotel, but I wanted to make sure she saw the fairy tree.
A miniature fairy village is in the park there. Across the pathway, a large tree needed to be cut down several years ago which left a large barren stump. But instead of digging the stump out of the ground, a lady requested it be left and sought permission to carve the stump. The very talented lady carved fairies all around the trunk. What a wonderful scene she carved! Children are not the only people who enjoy this most unique display and I hope will last for years.


No comments: